Papillomas outwardly resemble birthmarks, but not everyone really knows what it is. After human papillomavirus (HPV) enters the body, small growths appear. Let's find out as much as possible about them.
Human papilloma: what is it
Scientists have discovered that more than half of humanity is infected with HPV. In which:
- some are only carriers of the virus;
- in others - small pathological moles, papillomas appear on the skin, mucous membranes;
- very rarely, but there are cases when HPV contributes to the degeneration of benign formations, leading to cancer.
The virus spreads in different ways:
- transmitted from mother to child (during natural delivery) and can manifest itself in the first two years of life;
- through a handshake with an infected person;
- during sexual intercourse, it should be borne in mind that even the use of condoms as a contraceptive does not protect against infection;
- in case of violation of personal hygiene rules - if several people use the same things, towels, shoes;
- in public places, for example, saunas, swimming pools and even medical organizations, where processing takes place in violation of norms;
- after an abortion due to a decrease in immunity;
- transmitted cold diseases;
- systematic fatigue.
Hormonal changes cause the formation of papillomas, especially in women in an interesting position.
Most often, HPV manifests itself in people who abuse alcohol, drugs, smoke and have a promiscuous sex life.
However, a healthy human body is able to fight disease-causing cells. For this you need:
- to be the owner of strong immunity;
- observe personal hygiene;
- do not recycle;
- avoid stressful situations, be in a good mood;
- eat right.
Very important!To avoid unpleasant consequences, experts recommend removing the accumulation in time.
Types of papillomas
HPV does not appear immediately. The virus can remain unnoticed in the human body for up to two years. The shape of formations, the rate of growth and the place of localization determine the type of papilloma.
- simple, otherwise called vulgar, ordinary;
- pointed out.
Let's talk more about the last two types.
Pointed papillomas are otherwise known as warts. They enter the human body during sexual intercourse, so they are mainly localized:
- on the external genitalia (male, female);
- mammary glands;
- in the anus;
- the area around the anus;
- oral cavity.
Outwardly, condylomas resemble a cock's comb, only flesh-colored or pale pink. Papillary formations are located separately, grow rapidly and form groups. Over time, papillomas become firmer, rougher.
Genital warts increase in a short period of time. Sometimes a few days are enough to create a "goosebump". After treatment, the probability of recurrence of the disease is high.
Condyloma acuminata is considered to be the most dangerous type. Usually, such a neoplasm is the cause of the development of oncology in humans. The possibility of cell degeneration is high.
A flat papilloma is a benign formation of a rounded shape. It mainly affects the skin of the face, neck, as well as the oral cavity, esophagus, cervix, etc. c.
Most often occurs in the elderly. But young people can also find flat papillomas in the part of the body that is constantly exposed to damage.
Formations of this type rarely cause discomfort to people: growth is slow, almost imperceptible on the skin.
Important!Injuring the squamous cell papilloma should be avoided, as there is a risk that the cells may transform into a malignant tumor.
The essence of localization
There is no specific place for the growth of papillomas. But most often they appear:
- on the extremities (arms, legs);
- face (eyelids, area around the mouth, eyes);
- internal organs (larynx, tongue, cervix, urethra);
- groin area;
- under the chest.
Papilloma of the mammary gland
What is breast papilloma, you should know women who have the following symptoms:
- green, brown discharge from the breast;
- itching, burning;
- nipple color changes;
- swelling of the chest area;
- a small nodule can be felt, which, when pressed, causes pain and secretion from the nipple.
Regular visits to a gynecologist and mammologist help detect pathological changes in the breast.
The formation of papillomas in the mammary glands most often occurs due to hormonal imbalance in the woman's body, as well as:
- during pregnancy;
- using hormonal contraceptives;
- artificial termination of pregnancy;
- inflammation of the female genital organs;
- women with many bad habits;
- frequently changing sexual partners.
The only way to treat intraductal papilloma is surgery. Pathological tissue is excised, but the shape and size of the mammary gland remains unchanged.
It is very important to remove unnecessary formations in time, because they can turn into a malignant tumor at any time.
Papilloma in the neck
Papillary formations on the mucous membrane of the throat are detected by an otolaryngologist. Patients usually complain of difficulty swallowing, feeling as if something is in the throat, severe pain.
If you do not respond in time, papillomas grow, making it difficult to breathe, changing your voice, and in particularly severe cases can cause suffocation.
In adults, the disease is caused by:
- bad habits;
- promiscuous sex life;
- chronic ailments.
Children are also prone to the growth of papillomas in the throat if they have had an infectious disease, or their mother suffered from measles, rubella, viral hepatitis, etc. during pregnancy.
As in other cases, the papilloma should be removed immediately. Then do a complex treatment, strengthen the immune system.
Important!It is strictly forbidden to remove a papilloma in the neck by folk methods.
HPV can settle on the cervix in the form of warts. It is well known that pathogenic viruses, if not removed in time, promote the degeneration of healthy cells into cancer cells.
How to determine that papillomas have appeared in internal female organs? First, the color of the discharge changes: from milky to light brown or turns green, itching of the genitals is observed, lymph nodes increase.
If a woman leads a healthy lifestyle, regularly strengthens her immune system, she will be able to eliminate the harmful virus within a few years.
Genital warts appear for the following reasons:
- constant stress;
- decrease in immunity;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- use of hormonal contraceptives;
- sexually transmitted diseases (trichomoniasis, chlamydia, etc. );
- cervical erosion.
Papilloma on the tongue
Growths on the tongue appear not only in adults, but also in children. Babies often put things in their mouths that could be infected with HPV. Older people can become infected with the papillomavirus through sexual contact with an infected person and through household contact.
It is possible to detect a papilloma in any part of the tongue (sides, tip, root). The color of growths is different: white, pink, bright red.
The formation of tumors in the oral cavity causes a lot of trouble for a person. Sometimes bleeding wounds appear at the site of the papilloma.
The treatment method, as mentioned above, is the same for all types of papillomas - removal of the neoplasm and complex therapy.
In some cases, the papilloma changes its color to black. This happens when:
- growth-damaging, such as tight clothing, shoes, etc. ;
- the inflammatory process begins;
- a benign formation degenerates into a malignant one;
- recovery is taking place - the hormonal background has stabilized, immunity has improved;
- processing takes place with the help of acetic acid, liquid nitrogen, etc. ;
- a person tries to independently remove the formation on the body;
- the patient takes some drugs that contribute to the necrosis of papillomas.
Important!If the color of the papilloma has changed, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Any type of papilloma is caused by HPV. To make a correct diagnosis, you need:
- perform a blood test (general and biochemical);
- use viral DNA PCR diagnostics, which will determine the type of HPV and the exact number of viruses;
- perform a biopsy.
When detecting an increase in epithelial cells on the body or in another place, a person does not always know which doctor to turn to. First, you should visit a dermatologist.
In the initial examination, the doctor will be able to determine only genital warts. But it is impossible to know which type of virus (there are more than 100) that caused the growth. One way or another, the aforementioned studies are necessary.
For example, the PCR test allows you to determine the approximate duration of infection, whether papillomas have a chronic course of the disease or immunity has decreased once. Thanks to such information, it is possible to determine the source of infection, determine adequate treatment.
A biopsy is performed to obtain a reliable result of the presence of a process of transformation of healthy cells into cancer cells.
Treatment at home
As mentioned above, the treatment of papillomas in most cases takes place with the help of surgery. Self-medication can cause unwanted consequences. For example, the growth of processes throughout the body (papillomatous skin defect), or an injury to a papilloma that causes oncology.
Sometimes, in addition to the main therapy, the doctor uses folk methods. But first, an experienced specialist will make sure that there are no cancer cells in it.
Known for its medicinal properties:
- pus juice (natural or pharmacy);
- sour apple;
- Castor oil.
In order for the papilloma to disappear, it is necessary to regularly lubricate its surface with one of the offered products (2-3 times a day). Be patient as the healing process takes a very long time.
Simple laundry soap also helps to get rid of unwanted formations on the body. It is necessary to slightly moisten the soap with water, lubricating the affected skin area at night. Do this until the "leg" of the papilloma starts to turn red. After that, leave everything as it is and the new growth will disappear.
There is a belief: if you tie a papilloma with a silk thread, it will fall off. Doing so is strictly prohibited!
Growths on the body at first seem like a harmless disease that is almost asymptomatic and does not cause discomfort. From this article, you learned what papillomas are, what unwanted consequences are caused by the lack of proper treatment. It should be noted that a visit to the doctor with a growth is vital, as with any other disease.